Capital Market Director Programme (CMDP):
Licensed intermediary institutions play an important systemic role in the capital market ecosystem. The growth or decline of the capital market is influenced by, among others, the success and failure of these institutions. Hence, the quality of leadership at these institutions is paramount. Kiel et al., 2012 suggest four levels of competence required of a board. They are as follows:
Industry: Experience in and knowledge of the industry in which the organisation operates
Technical: Technical/professional skills and specialist knowledge to assist with ongoing aspects of the board’s role
Governance: The essential governance knowledge and understanding all directors should possess or develop if they are to be effective board members
Behavioural: The attributes and competencies enabling individual board members to use their knowledge and skills to function well as team members and to interact with key stakeholders
The Capital Market Director Programme (CMD) is an exclusive platform for directors and other strategic personalities of licensed intermediary institutions to equip themselves with new and relevant knowledge, skills and abilities (basic to intermediate level). The programme is also designed to allow them to explore and deliberate on pertinent issues affecting the industry from multi-stakeholders’ perspectives.
The specific objectives of the programme are as follows:
- Equip members of the board with knowledge and skills to provide leadership and oversight in the running of licensed intermediary institutions;
- Assist directors of licensed intermediary institutions in becoming an effective member of the board through the latest developments in regulations and challenges, business and governance in the capital market; and
- Promote a thorough understanding of the role of the Securities Commission in regulating a dynamic and competitive capital market.
This programme will also “strengthen intermediation standards and capabilities” as espoused by the Capital Market Masterplan 2 (CMP2).
Securities Commission Malaysia (2011) Capital Market Masterplan 2. Securities Commission, Kuala Lumpur.
Module 2B: Business Challenges and Regulatory Expectations – What Directors Need To Know (Fund Management)
At the end of the module, participants will be able to:
- Identify and discuss the nature, challenges and opportunities in the fund management business;
- Evaluate the relevant provisions in the applicable guidelines that directors of licensed intermediaries need to be cognizant of;
- Assess the challenges facing directors of fund management companies in overseeing the application of and conformance with the applicable guidelines; and
- Exercise judgement appropriately in dealing with issues of business challenges and regulatory expectations brought to the attention of the board
*SIDC CPE points are recognised by FIMM, AICB and MIA
Newly appointed directors and directors of CMSL holders
OUTLINE MODULE 2B – BUSINESS CHALLENGES AND REGULATORY EXPECTATIONS – WHAT DIRECTORS NEED TO KNOW (FUND MANAGEMENT)
|10.00 am||Nature of fund management business, including:
Overview of the expected skillset of directors to understand the nature, conduct and performance of fund management business, including:
Challenges in the operations, systems and procedures in terms of minimum requirements and best practices to meet the expectations laid out in the applicable SC Guidelines with particular reference to the following areas of:
|11.30 am||End of Programme|
Chief Executive Officer, Federation of Investment Managers Malaysia (FIMM)
Mr. Kaleon Leong bin Rahan is the Chief Executive Officer of the Federation of Investment Managers Malaysia (FIMM) effective 1 October 2018. He comes with over 20 years of experience in various senior management roles in the Malaysian investment management industry, specialising in the fields of unit trust and asset management, regulations and auditing. Prior to his appointment at FIMM, Mr. Kaleon was the Chief Executive Officer and Director of HSBC (Malaysia) Trustee Berhad. He had also served at the Securities Commission Malaysia, AmInvestment Services Bhd and PricewaterhouseCoopers. In addition to the above, Mr. Kaleon has participated as a speaker and resource person on Fund Management in events organized by the Asian Development Bank, Securities Industry Development Corporation, etc. Mr. Kaleon is a Chartered Accountant (Malaysian Institute of Accountants) and holds a Bachelor of Accounting degree from the International Islamic University Malaysia, as well as a Masters Degree in Information Technology Management from University Tun Abdul Razak.