SIDC Workshop Series: take overs and mergers
Dates: 4 - 5 Septemeber 2018
Venue: Securities Commission Malaysia
Accreditation: 10 CPE
Businesses can grow, either through internal (organic) growth or external expansion. The merger or acquisition (M&A) route may offer one of the solutions to grow the business; and the objectives behind such a move or decision is unique to every business. M&A is based on the principle of creating more value (after combining) than the individual companies are worth individually. In this 2-day programme, participants will learn how a company or businesses could develop a competitive advantage and ultimately expand the business through M&A strategy.
The objective of this programme is to examine the potential use of mergers & acquisition strategy to optimise the value of any company and business. The program also aims to enhance understanding of the associated benefits and potential pitfalls in maximising businesses value through mergers & acquisition.
By the end of this programme, participants will be able to:
- outline the processes involved in M&A;
- assess the role and rationale behind M&A exercise;
- identify the rules and regulations in performing M&A;
- analyze the risks, uncertainties and challenges involved;
- assess the challenges prior to implementing M&A;
- identify the key issues in post-merger integration.
Interactive presentations and Question-and-Answer (Q&A) sessions.
Corporate finance executives, Dealers’ representative, investment analysts, fund managers
Investment banks, corporate finance advisory companies, stockbroking companies, asset management companies, research houses.
||Foundational (Product Knowledge) - Capital Market Fundamentals, Capital Market Environment
Functional (Technical Skills) - Market Analysis
|PROGRAMME – DAY 1
| 8.30 am
| 9.00 am
||OVERVIEW AND DEVELOPMENT OF MERGERS & ACQUISITION (M&A)
- M& A trends in Malaysia, regional and global
- Motives and key advantages of M&A
- The process and mechanics of M&A
- Why do companies undertake M&A?
- Determining the key players - Companies, Investment Banks, Lawyers
||CREATING VALUE THROUGH STRATEGIC M&A
- What drives value creation?
- Value creation is the base of M&A deals
- Guiding principle of value creation: How to make sure that an M&A deal creates value for the buyer?
| 10.30 am
| 10.45 am
VALUATION OF M&A
- Role of valuations in M&A
- Various valuation approaches for M&A exercises
- Asset approach
- Income approach
- Market approach
- Estimate the cost of a merger or acquisition
- Structure acquisition financing
| 12.30 pm
| 2.00 pm
||RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING MERGERS & ACQUISITION
- Complying to the relevant regulations, codes, standards and guidelines
- The impact on different corporate valuations
- The cost and benefits of different financing alternatives
- Legal issues an documentations
| 3.30 pm
- Key issues in due diligence
- Due diligence process: Who can do it and what is the expected information?
- Developing a strategic approach: Who is responsible of what in the organisation?
- Who are the key people to meet and what are the information to get?
- Legal aspects to consider
| 5.00 pm
||End of Day 1
PROGRAMME – DAY 2
| 9.00 am
||STRUCTURING M&A TRANSACTIONS
- What is Structuring?
- Deal classification (Asset Purchase Share Purchase/Subscription)
- Money Management (Consideration, Escrows, Earn Outs, etc)
- Salient Terms
- Buy-side negotiations
- Sale-side negotiations
| 10.30 am
| 10.45 am
||OVERCOMING RISKS & CHALLENGES IN M&A
- Risk Identification & Assessment
- Strategic risk management
- Using legal framework for risk management
- Risk Mitigation Measures
- Market survey: Analysis on businesses and its environment
- Capturing value across the M&A value chain
- Key Challenges
||MANAGING M&A INTEGRATION
- Issues in M&A integration
- M&A strategy for successful integration
- Best practices for managing post-acquisition integration issues
||CASE STUDIES ON M&A SUCCESSES AND FAILURES
- Domestic case studies
- International case studies
- Lessons learnt & key takeaways
||End of Programme
Speaker- Wong Loke Lim
Wong Loke Lim has almost thirty years of banking and finance-related experience. Currently, he is a director of several private companies which he founded, including i-Biz Concept Sdn Bhd, a financial training and management resources provider. He is also a director of a Bursa Malaysia-listed company and sits on the Board of Governors of the Financial Planning Association of Malaysia, where he was the Deputy President from 2011-2013. Previously, he was the Chief Executive/Licensed Representative of a fund management company, a general manager at KAF Investment Bank Berhad and the Group Chief Internal Auditor of a KLSE (now Bursa Malaysia)-listed company. He speaks regularly on topics relating to capital market, treasury, accounting and wealth management, and conducted training programmes for capital market professionals, private bankers and wealth managers in various financial centres in the Asia-Pacific region. He is a chartered accountant, a fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants and a Certified Financial Planner.
Speaker-Norhisham Abd Bahrin
Norhisham has over 12 years of experience in the legal field and is engaged in a variety of corporate and commercial transactions with focus on cross border investments, acquisitions, government concessions and tenders, aviation as well as forensic fraud advisory.
Hisham is an Advocate and Solicitor at the High Court of Malaya and graduated from the International Islamic University Malaysia with LLB (Hons.). He holds an MBA from the Royal Docks Business School from the University of East London specializing in International Business.
Hisham has successfully advised notable transactions for large local clients ranging from various fields, including BERNAS, Celcom Axiata, PETRONAS, Permodalan Nasional Berhad and Penang Port. Internationally, his clients include Lear Corporation Inc., Arena Group of Companies, as well as acting as local counsel to renowned global law firms including Norton Rose, Herbert Smith Freehills and Bryan Cave.
Hisham speaks regularly at legal conferences, the most recent being the Mergers & Acquisitions Conference 2013 and the 17th Malaysia Capital Market Summit in 2012.