SIDC Workshop Series: take overs and mergers
Dates: 4 - 5 Septmeber 2018
Venue: Securities Commission Malaysia
Accreditation: SIDC CPE-approved: 10 CPE points
Businesses can grow, either through internal (organic) growth or external expansion. The merger or acquisition (M&A) route may offer one of the solutions to grow the business; and the objectives behind such a move or decision is unique to every business. M&A is based on the principle of creating more value (after combining) than the individual companies are worth individually. In this 2-day programme, participants will learn how a company or businesses could develop a competitive advantage and ultimately expand the business through M&A strategy.
The objective of this programme is to examine the potential use of mergers & acquisition strategy to optimise the value of any company and business. The program also aims to enhance understanding of the associated benefits and potential pitfalls in maximising businesses value through mergers & acquisition.
By the end of this programme, participants will be able to:
- outline the processes involved in M&A;
- assess the role and rationale behind M&A exercise;
- identify the rules and regulations in performing M&A;
- analyze the risks, uncertainties and challenges involved;
- assess the challenges prior to implementing M&A;
- identify the key issues in post-merger integration.
Interactive presentations and Question-and-Answer (Q&A) sessions.
Corporate finance executives, Dealers’ representative, investment analysts, fund managers
Investment banks, corporate finance advisory companies, stockbroking companies, asset management companies, research houses.
||Foundational (Product Knowledge) - Capital Market Fundamentals, Capital Market Environment
Functional (Technical Skills) - Market Analysis
|PROGRAMME – DAY 1
| 8.30 am
| 9.00 am
||OVERVIEW AND DEVELOPMENT OF MERGERS & ACQUISITION (M&A)
- M& A trends in Malaysia, regional and global
- Motives and key advantages of M&A
- The process and mechanics of M&A
- Why do companies undertake M&A?
- Determining the key players - Companies, Investment Banks, Lawyers
||CREATING VALUE THROUGH STRATEGIC M&A
- What drives value creation?
- Value creation is the base of M&A deals
- Guiding principle of value creation: How to make sure that an M&A deal creates value for the buyer?
| 10.30 am
| 10.45 am
VALUATION OF M&A
- Role of valuations in M&A
- Various valuation approaches for M&A exercises
- Asset approach
- Income approach
- Market approach
- Estimate the cost of a merger or acquisition
- Structure acquisition financing
| 12.30 pm
| 2.00 pm
||RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING MERGERS & ACQUISITION
- Complying to the relevant regulations, codes, standards and guidelines
- The impact on different corporate valuations
- The cost and benefits of different financing alternatives
- Legal issues an documentations
| 3.30 pm
- Key issues in due diligence
- Due diligence process: Who can do it and what is the expected information?
- Developing a strategic approach: Who is responsible of what in the organisation?
- Who are the key people to meet and what are the information to get?
- Legal aspects to consider
| 5.00 pm
||End of Day 1
PROGRAMME – DAY 2
| 9.00 am
||STRUCTURING M&A TRANSACTIONS
- What is Structuring?
- Deal classification (Asset Purchase Share Purchase/Subscription)
- Money Management (Consideration, Escrows, Earn Outs, etc)
- Salient Terms
- Buy-side negotiations
- Sale-side negotiations
| 10.30 am
| 10.45 am
||OVERCOMING RISKS & CHALLENGES IN M&A
- Risk Identification & Assessment
- Strategic risk management
- Using legal framework for risk management
- Risk Mitigation Measures
- Market survey: Analysis on businesses and its environment
- Capturing value across the M&A value chain
- Key Challenges
||MANAGING M&A INTEGRATION
- Issues in M&A integration
- M&A strategy for successful integration
- Best practices for managing post-acquisition integration issues
||CASE STUDIES ON M&A SUCCESSES AND FAILURES
- Domestic case studies
- International case studies
- Lessons learnt & key takeaways
||End of Programme