SIDC Workshop Series: Bonds 007 vs Bonds 101
Dates: 15 November 2018 (8.30am - 5.15pm)
Venue: Securities Commission Malaysia
Accreditation: SIDC CPE-approved: 10 CPE points
The Malaysian bond and sukuk market is valued at RM1.3 trillion, of which government and sukuk account for 54% of total issuance. The remaining balance is corporate issuance. Nearly 97% of corporate bond and sukuk investors are from the domestic institutional market.
The Malaysian bond and sukuk market is the third largest in Asia (relative to gross domestic product). Malaysia also has the world’s largest sukuk market.
With the Securities Commission Malaysia encouraging more retail participation in the bond and sukuk market, retail investors will gain direct access to the bond and sukuk market while enabling issuers to issue their papers to retail investors directly
This programme will introduce participants to the main products and players in the fixed income market, namely bonds. The key areas covered will be illustrated using real market data and examples of the most commonly used trackers for bonds. Core concepts such as bond pricing, duration, and yield curves are covered in detail.
Upon completion of this programme, participants will be able to:
- describe the importance of the bond market
- identify the players involved in the bond market;
- identify the regulatory framework governing the bond market;
- describe the bonds’ features and characteristics; and
- discuss the relationship between interests rates and bonds’ risks and returns.
Interactive presentations and Question-and-Answer sessions.
Dealers’ representatives, remisiers, investment analysts, wealth managers, investors, financial planners, corporate finance firms
Investment banks, stockbroking companies, commercial banks, corporate finance advisory companies, financial planning companies.
||Foundational (Product Knowledge) - Capital Market Fundamentals, Capital Market Environment
Functional (Technical Skills) - Market Analysis
||FUNDAMENTALS OF BONDS
- Overview and importance of the bond market
- Participants of the bond market
- Regulatory framework governing the bond market
| 10.15 am
| 10.30 am
||UNDERSTANDING BOND FEATURES
- Types and characteristics of bonds
- Long term
- Medium term
- Short term
- Bond terms and features
- Factors to consider when selecting bonds
| 12.30 pm
| 2.00 pm
||ENHANCING BOND RETURNS
- Pricing of a bond
- Calculating bond yields
- Factors affecting a bond’s returns
| 3.15 pm
| 3.30 pm
||RISKS IN BONDS
- Interest rates in relation to bonds’ risks and returns
- Case Study on bonds
| 5.15 pm
||END OF PROGRAMME