SIDC Workshop Series - Business Valuation
Dates: 30 July 2018 (8.30am - 5.00pm)
Venue: Securities Commission Malaysia
Accreditation: SIDC CPE-approved: 10 CPE points
“Price is what you pay. Value is what you get,” said Warren Buffett.
Valuation is used for many purposes, may it be for investment, M&A or as part of internal measures of financial control. It is extensively applied wh en companies issue new shares, divest operations or acquire other companies. There are many different approaches to the analysis and valuation and also essential to understand that company analysis is not an absolute science but also based on interpretation and judgment.
This valuation programme, led by Dr. Andrew Stotz, PhD, CFA weaves together real world examples, life stories, and case studies of actual companies to illuminate the core principles of business valuation in an easy-to-understand format.
It contains practical guidance in the valuation process for both investment analysts, as well as corporate finance executives looking to build long-term value into their business for the purpose of capital fund-raising or investment.
This programme aims to provide insights on the most important parts of the valuation process, how to avoid common mistakes, and best practices for overcoming the challenges in valuation.
Upon completion of this programme, participants will be able to:
- recognise typical forecasting mistakes made
- identify the most important parts of the valuation process
- break down difficult areas in valuation into digestible pieces
- examine the core tools for valuation
- discuss best practices in valuation of companies
Interactive presentations, Question-and-Answer (Q&A) sessions and workshop
Analysts, corporate finance executives, fund manager, dealers’ representatives, corporate strategy executive
Investment and commercial banks, stockbroking firms, advisory firms, fund management companies.
||Functional (Technical Skills) – Fundamental Analysis, Technical Analysis and Valuation
|Revenue and Profit Forecasting
- Why revenue is the key to valuation
- How to forecast revenue and how to tell a story around that forecast
- Key components to accurate profit forecasts
|Understanding Reasonable Margins
- Learn industry averages for margins and how the company you are valuing compares
- 17,000 companies, 10 industries, and 22 years’ worth of data and research
- Everything you need to know about benchmarking margins
|Properly Forecasting Capex and Working Capital Investment
- Common capex and working capital mistakes
- The types of required investments and how to forecast them accurately
- Critical correlation between investment levels and free cash flow to the firm
|The Core Tools for Valuation
- A simple, easy-to-follow framework for valuing companies
- Best practices to improve your valuations
- The four core drivers of value in any business
- How investors and management can identify and build value in a business
||End of Programme
Andrew graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Finance and an MBA from California State University. He earned his PhD in finance from the University of Science and Technology of China.
In 2013, Andrew retired from a 20-year career as an equity analyst at various brokers in Thailand to set up A. Stotz Investment Research (ASIR). His final eight years in the business were spent as a Head of Research, managing teams, and writing strategy regularly. He served two terms as CFA Society Thailand president.
While Head of Research at CLSA, Andrew was voted No. 1 Analyst in Thailand in the Asiamoney Brokers Polls for 2008 and 2009. He was also voted No. 1 Analyst in Thailand in the 2009 Institutional Investor magazine All-Asia Research Team Report.