The Future Of Cryptocurrency: How Does It Revolutionise The Businesses
Dates: 7 March 2019 (8.30am - 5.00pm)
Venue: Securities Commission Malaysia
Accreditation: SIDC CPE Eligible
Cryptocurrency has risen to be one of most celebrated class of digital assets (money) around the world. As of December 2017, total market capitalization of cryptocurrencies has reached over US$465 billion. Acknowledging that there is increasing demand for cryptocurrencies and its unexplored potential, a number of countries have passed regulations facilitating the transactions of these digital assets.
With the increased number of participants and volume of transactions day by day, experts believe that regulating the cryptocurrency industry is pertinent to ensure consumer protection. Recently, the Minister of Finance (MOF) has announced that the regulations for digital asset or cryptocurrency exchanges and initial coin offerings (ICOs) will come into force by first quarter of 2019.
This programme aims to provide the latest cryptocurrency update while understanding the risks and challenges around it. Key areas covered will include role of the crypto exchanges, ICOs, trading and mining of cryptocurrency, anti-money laundering and anti-terrorism financing as well as tax considerations. The programme will also touch on cryptocurrency space in Malaysia post MOF regulations announcements.
Participants will be able to evaluate the opportunities, issues and challenges within the cryptocurrencies ecosystem and discuss the existing regulatory measures associated with the industry.
By the end of this programme, participants will be able to:
- Describe the features of existing cryptocurrencies and ICOs
- Recognise the risks, issues and potential pitfalls associated with cryptocurrencies and other digital currency transactions
- Assess the need for optimum control and adequate regulatory framework to address related issues
- Evaluate the potential use of cryptocurrencies in Malaysia and globally
Dealers, trading representatives, fund managers and analysts.
PLCs, SMEs, cryptocurrency exchange companies, legal firms, consultancy firms, accounting firms, fund management companies, stockbroking firms, investment banks and fintech related companies and associations.
||Functional - Digital Technology Application
Foundational - Capital Market Products Regulations
Fundamentals of Initial Coin Offerings (ICO)
- Types of cryptocurrencies
- The cryptocurrency eco-System
- Cryptocurrency mining
- What is an ICO? Where does it come from?
- How does it work?
- The mechanics – rights attaching to the coins
|Challenges and Issues Facing Cryptocurrency
- History and development of cryptocurrencies
- Main uses of cryptocurrency
- Virtual currency
- Payment rail
- Challenges and issues
- Criminal financial activity
|Regulatory Landscape of Cryptocurrencies and ICOs Around the Globe
- Legal status of cryptocurrency
- Absolute ban
- Implicit ban
- Natural and not regulated
- Legal and regulated
- Existing regulations for cryptocurrency
- Tax law
- Anti-money laundering and anti-terrorism financing law
- Exchanges, trading and mining
- Issuing ICOs
- Safeguarding investors’ interest
||End of Programme